Pages

Sunday, May 13, 2012

Busan Trip!

The Short Version: I went down to Busan and hung out at the beach with friends, was almost killed in a cab, enjoyed the train ride, loved my hotel room, and had a good time.
Click here for pictures ---> Photo Album

The Long Version:
This weekend I headed down to Busan with some friends. We left Saturday morning bright and early, and headed off to Seoul Station to buy tickets for the KTX down to Busan. Most of them were sold out, and it was really difficult, and the lady behind the counter wasn't very friendly or helpful. I suggest if you wish to plan a trip you buy your tickets beforehand.

After sorting out the ticket situation we were able to get tickets with us all in different train cars, so I spent the train ride down admiring the view, going "squee I'm on a TRAIN!" and drawing and practicing my Korean.

Train Video!


Pictures of the view!




     We passed through both city and countryside, it was interesting to see the different areas. Korea has a lot of amazing views if you are looking.

We arrived in Busan and the first thing I marveled at was the View. It was defiantly and interesting sight. 


Also took some time to take dorky photo's with my friends. 
There was a travel assistance place right in the train station so we were able to get help figuring out busses and such. Then we decided to take a taxi to the beach anyway!
    I haven't taken a lot of taxi's in Korea, and I feel that maybe they will have their own, special blog someday. For now what I'll say is that every ride has been a near death experience, and while I really wanted to take pictures and admire the city, I was constantly going "Oh my god he almost hit him, shit that's a red light, OH GOD OH GOD." and also making noises like I was on a roller coaster when we went over the bridges and hills because he was going like 100kmh which is... 62mph? seriously thats it? The fastest he got was up to 120kmph which felt WAY faster but since he was going around tight turns and little roads in the city I guess everything flying by at such a quick speed enhanced the going fast. Also going down all those hills. We counted and he ran 7 red lights, and almost crashed on the 7th. One time he stopped to wait for the pedestrians to pass since they were already in the road but then started as soon as they passed even though the light was still red. We were debating if we should count that, but decided it should be counted as going through a red light. 
   We safely made it to our destination Haeundae Beach, and blessed the lord and hugs all around for our continued survival. We went out to a pub called the Wolfhound, which was like leaving korea and walking into one of those british or irish pubs back home. It had a real hamburger and chili fries and so many nummy nummy things to eat. I fattened myself up and then waddled down to the beach with my friends and then slathered more sunscreen on myself and rolled around the sand. I tried to turn myself like on a spit so I wouldn't burn too badly. I also made sure to apply more sunblock and keep my hat on. I brought water so I wouldn't dehydrate as well. I'm a good adult!
Picture time! Here are a couple pictures from where I was on the Beach. We were right by the Aquarium but didn't go because we were all pretty broke after our first class train tickets... which were worth it.

Beach Video!




   There was a music/dance competition going on so we got to enjoy that since it was just down the beach, and lots of other people. The ocean was still a little TOO cold to swim in, but I did walk in it some. It was a great view, and the sun felt good. As a person who generally does her best to NOT encounter sunlight, I have to admit I was sad when we did have to leave the beach. We got coffee and juice drinks and chatted, then hopped a bus at about sunset back to Busan station. 

   We checked into our Hotel, which was the Toyuko Inn in Jung-Dong Busan, and got dinner at a korea BBQ Chicken place. It was good, but the service sucked. 
   The hotel room was interesting. First, there was an actual KEY! I know, shocking right? 

Not only was there a key, but on the key is this stick. You have to put the stick in the wall socket or your electricity doesn't work in your room. 

There was free wifi and breakfast and the room was 77,000 won a night for a double, so not a horrible price at all. It wasn't the largest room ever, but it was ok, had an amazing bathtub, and wonderful view.






I was really tired in the morning so I didn't take any more pictures after this. Breakfast was Rice, Kimichi, Crabcake/sausage things some other meat thing, bean sprout soup, toast and jam, hot dogs, and cucumber cabbage salad. There was also Orange Juice, but the coffee machine wasn't working. We left and went and bought train tickets, and were able to get tickets out at noon on the KTX back to Seoul in the Cinema Car. It was a Korean movie playing, and while I can't understand Korean, I enjoyed the movie and could figure out mostly what was going on.

After getting back I collapsed on my couch, ate ice cream, unpacked, and praised myself for having cleaned the apartment before I left, so I didn't have to clean when I got home. 

Now I'm getting everything ready for work tomorrow, and wishing I could still be on that beach.

No comments:

Post a Comment