Pages

Thursday, March 8, 2012

I'm a little more settled in now

So I've been here a couple of days, I've had my first couple of classes.

First, I'm teaching in a Hagwon, or Private Academy. I work from about 10am to 5pm MWF, and 10AM to 7pm TTH in classes. I spend right now about 2 hours a day on my lesson plans, however I'm getting a little faster so I think that may cut down some.
At first, I was stressed out, thinking it was very hard, and now I'm feeling a lot more comfortable in front of the kids. They all have such active minds, and it can be fun to teach them. However, also very hard to keep them in control.
I teach kindergarten and Elementary students. I'm still getting down the timing between periods, making sure we don't take too long doing things. The other teachers are all very supportive and wonderful. I feel like I'm in a good place. Sometimes things change quickly, and I'm learning to adapt.
Today 2 teachers had their birthday part. Birthday parties are celebrated on Thursdays for teachers who are having one. The school orders out, and every teacher chips in 5000 won. Then person/people whose birthday it is get all of the money! We had pizza and chicken. It was interesting. Especially the pizza with the potato and broccoli and bacon on it. I haven''t been able to get any video's or photo's at school yet.

Now on to my non school adventures, which... mostly involve food at this point. As all of my lovely friends and family know, I like to eat. Also, after school I'm so damn tired I don't really have energy for more than grabbing something quick.

So food first.
There is a convenience store near bye were I can get some basic things. Water, juice, snacks. I tried a sandwich from there, which was.... weird. There is also a pasta place, which is good. They have a pita pizza, which actually taste like a pizza, and a really good oven baked spaghettii, and the Bistro salad was ok, and well... I haven't tried anything else. It was good though. Here is a video about my first Saturday night, and some of the food.


It also feels very safe here in Korea. Back home in Saint Paul I wouldn't really consider ... going outside after the sun goes down unless its just quickly to my car, or running across the street quick. You wouldn't go wandering around. However, here, its very normal to be out and about really late. In fact, a lot of things are open 24 hours. I met up with a friend to go to McDonalds at 1am, and there were still parents with there children out at the McDonalds, and lots of people walking around. In fact, enough people that we might consider it "busy" back home. I'm quickly learning that "busy" and "packed" back home are actually "slow" and "reasonable". There are so many people here!

Jester's
This place has Australian Meat Pies. I want to go back and get more types of pie. It was good, and there were many different flavors to choose from. 


Bennigan's.
Well, we have these back at home. However, they are by no means the same place at all. The menu and cost are very different. Here, it runs about 20,000 to 30,000 won for a meal. thats like $20 to $30. Also, the menu? Nothing like back home.
also, instead of St.Patricks day alone, its green week
I ordered a Chicken Burrito. thinking it would be... normal sized. Also I shared cheesy fries.

Here is what I got

Here is what I was able to eat


can you tell how large this is?
very nummy. I loved these
.Because I couldn't finish it I had to get it to go, and they indvidually wrapped up my items, which I was gleeful about. So cool!


That one chicken place (I don't know what it was called)
It was really good. They make these potato chips and have really good chicken strips, and the salad was good. Too strong of a dressing, but you could put less on. It cost about 30,000 won, but was split between 3 people. Not a bad deal.



Baskin Robbins
Ice cream! You scream? we all Scream for ice cream!






Dunkin Donughts
I've gone here a couple of times now for a "hot bagel" for breakfast. You pick out what you want from the case, go up and buy it, and enjoy! The coffee was very weak and not worth my money, but the donuts and munchkins (which I bought to eat while watching MN Roller Girls online) were really good!

Not food! I went to a Karaoke bar here. You don't have to hear me sing, I just show you what the room looks like in this.

Outdoor Exercise Park. There are tracks for walking/running/biking, and indoor area, and, outside, Exercise Equipment

And finally, a place I haven't eaten yet, but want to because the cakes make me drool. I don't remember it's name either. I just know I see it everyday on my walk home, and when I see it I need to turn left.





And thats all for now!

2 comments:

  1. Lawl! Your faces when eating the sandwiches! And OMG give me that cake.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those cakes look sooooooooo good!!

    ReplyDelete