Pages

Friday, April 6, 2012

The Doctor

the TLDR version:
I went to the Doctor. He spoke English, it cost less than 20.00 without insurance. However I have a cold so there isn't much they can do.

the long version:

Going to the Doctor in Korea wasn't scary. Of course, I practically forced my co-worker to help me... Both she and I have been sick almost since the day we arrived in Korea. She went to the doctor right away, and found out she had Bronchitis. I was all "well, I don't have insurance yet, it will be expensive, and I'm pretty sure its just a cold and they can't do anything. Little did I know how much work it is just to get some cough drops here, and since it wasn't going away, I decided to go to the doctor as well. So my wonderful co-worker showed me how to get to the doctor she used.

The office is close to were I live. There wasn't an appointment, it was a walk in first come first serve basis. It was farily easy to get in, I just had to hand over my passport. They called me in and the doctor spoke English. I should say he spoke medical English. However, we understood each other, and he said it was a cold. However he also prescribed some medicine to help me because it was sever. I think it was a decongestant, however I am unsure. He asked if I was allergic to any medications, the prescribed away, not telling me what I was getting or what it does. I was then ushered out and told to pay.

Back home, this lovely short visit without insurance would have been over 100.00 easy. here? so expensive without insurance? Nope, it was only $13.00... Then, I went downstairs to the pharmacy right below the doctors office for my 5 days worth of cold medicine. They told me that if my hands shake I should remove the blue pill. They had individually wrapped each dose of my medicine, and there was 5 pills in a dose. Again, I had no idea what these pills did, other than I now knew the blue one could perhaps cause my hands to shake.
I was sick, so I took my meds and felt better. After I was out of meds, it rained, and I got the flu, and caught yet another cold... or maybe never actually lost my cold. Unsure. However, I'm still sick. I have health insurance now, but.. I just don't see the point in going to the doctor. I don't like taking medications when I don't know what they are for. 

No comments:

Post a Comment