Pages

Saturday, June 9, 2012

those younguns! *shakes my fist*

I think I've official become old at this point. Today, I went out to the Latin festival. I'm not going to talk about that right yet, but moreso about my adventure on the way home. I guess this is more of a rant. I know this rant will not help improve what i'm complaining about at all, but it will in fact prove I've finally become old.

I would like to think I've never been a horrible rude child. In fact I would like to think that I've been a well mannered, good child. You know, one of those boring kids you picked on? That was me. I was adventurous within the rules set for me. I liked rules. I liked guidelines, I like safety. I enjoy helping people. I guess you could say that I like to make others comfortable and happy.

So this rant is coming from a boring person, about a boring thing.

WHY ARE THE TEENAGERS IN THIS COUNTRY SO DAMN RUDE?

Seriously, what the fudging pumpersnickle is going on here? Now, don't get me wrong. I'm not saying they are not rude back home. I'd say they are. I also haven't had a lot of interaction with them since I was a teenager, and well... I tried not to interact with them when I was one because I was well... playing video games and reading books and working and getting ready for college, and other than working with them to get work done in school, I just felt to busy. Party? Who had the time? Except for the few friends that somehow stuck it out with my boring self and that dragged me out of my house and actually made me go do stuff, and who wants to be forcing someone to have fun all the time? Wait my rant is digressing into a personal history of how horrible I was at socializing with other people.


Back on topic. Teenagers. Kids. In korea, a child should show to his/her parents. There are  “Five Bonds” which basically explain how one should properly behave towards other people. In each of the five bonds, respect to those older to you was stressed over and over again. The teachings of these Five Bonds is very deeply ingrained in Korean society. There are specific words for people so you know their age based on who you are talking too.
coppied from wikki
Base nounHonorificEnglish translation


 (hyeong)형님 (hyeongnim)a male's older brother
누나 (noona)누님 (nunim)a male's older sister
오빠 (oppa)오라버니 (orabeoni)a female's older brother
언니 (eonni)a female's older sister





Now this isn't a complete list, but I tell you know that english translation isn't exactly correct. Those are the exact meanings yes, however people use them for other things. You may not actually be related to someone but may call them Oppa if you are dating them (kinda like people call their husbands daddy  I guess?) There are names for in the workplace and school too, referencing a senior.

Basically, what I'm saying is these little teenagers should have had it beaten into them to have at least some manners for those who are older around them. 

In fact a lot of foreigners I've talked to say that the older people are rude (ok, I've been elbowed by a couple hurried ladies trying to get that subway seat myself, that is a little rude) and that people are showing respect by ignoring the fact the lady juts elbowed them. Whereas I feel that showing respect would be getting out of your seat and giving it to her so that she wouldn't feel like she had to elbow you to get to it. You are young, stand up. 

Today the teenagers were saying rude things about everyone (I have been studying rude korean words so I can call my kids on it in class if they try cause I don't know korean). LOUDLY saying it. Kicking people. Laughing at an old lady for falling down on the train had a particularly harsh stop. If you'd gotten out of your seat she could have been sitting and wouldn't have had to fall you little ...

What I can say is, the older people I've met in Korean may be a little brisk, and rude in asking personal questions (are you married? how old are you? are you dating?) they are nice, and considerate, and the middleaged will get up and help the older people, and the older people will kindly help lost foreigners even if they don't speak a lick of english. I know those little teenagers are being forced to learn at least hello in english, and hell that one is reading a damn book, you'd think they'd at least respond >.<

I don't think I'll ever like teenagers. 


No comments:

Post a Comment